Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sit-ups regime

Quick personal interjection:

A mathematician friend of mine had a New Year's Resolution, except he didn't call it a New Year's Resolution. He called it an "assessment for self-improvement" or some such thing: it had the phrase self-improvement, or 'ways I can improve myself.'
That's it: Attainable goals for self-improvement. His reasoning for not using the word resolution was that people always choose ridiculously unattainable goals for themselves for New Year's Resolutions:
"I'm going to learn how to fly this year."
"This is the year I'm going to grow wings."
"This is the year I finally run for president."
"That's it: I'm going to read three books per week, and not watch any tv all year long." Later that month, with the season premier of Laguna Beach, however...

So, his attainable goal was to lose weight. But he didn't like pain, and he didn't want to incur any residual pain afterwards. The day after running, for instance, when you have to pick up your thighs with your hands in order to walk up the stairs. So, he theorized that he could do one sit-up per day. One sit-up certainly wouldn't hurt. And since the first day he was able to do one sit-up, the next day he would be able to do two sit-ups, because his body would have been used to one, and he would have built up resistance. The third day, he would do three sit-ups, and so on. He told me of this resolution on day 183. By this point he was doing sit-ups in intervals of 25 to 50, because 183 consecutive sit-ups would defeat the purpose of no pain.
Now since 183 sit-ups can seem rather boring, he has altered it a little, by adding push-ups to the regimen. As of the day of telling me of his intentions, he was at 33 push-ups. I could be wrong. He is probably close to 245 sit-ups as I write.

I have decided to adopt this regimen. I determined to start when I returned from vacation, which was July 17. I have not been as disciplined as Lee; today is day 18. Obviously, I have missed some days.

Due to this lack of discipline, every day that I follow through with my intention, I will post that number.

All entries corresponding to this exercise will be transferred and hereon chronicled on a separate log.

(It might be interesting to bury the number in a story and make you, my beloved fans, search for them. But that would require readers.)

1 comment:

muchacha K handmade said...

Personally, I'd rather be watching Laguna Beach...or rather, the HILLS...yeaaaaahhh....