Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Etc. Confession

I have a confession to make, dear (as of now hypothetical) readers.

In my profile, I listed my favorite books. At the end I tossed off the phrase "etc etc etc", claiming that it's not the title of a book. At my own behest (Oh my god, how pompous did that just sound!) (Note: you know you're a book nerd, when you end up using the phrase "at [insert name, thing, raccoon]'s behest" without even thinking about it)...

Anyway...

At my own behest (see above aside), I decided to see if there were any books with that as the title, and whereas there exist no books titled exactly "Etc.", many books do have it in the title, and if you un-abbreviate it, there are a few named "Et Cetera." I have listed them below.

There is the manga series Et Cetera (found here: Et Cetera) by Tow Nakazaki.

I have not read it, as I don't read much manga, other than the amazing DeathNote. (for all things DeathNote, see here (thank you, Esther): deathnote7 )



There is also the book Et Cetera, Et Cetera: Notes of Word Watcher by Lewis Thomas: Et Cetera, Et Cetera

I also have not read this book yet, but could possibly read it one day. It deals with the etymology, evolution of language, linguistics, etc (there's that word, sorry, Latinized abbreviation again), all the things that interest philosophers, coal-miners, and presidents alike.

So you see, dear hypothetical readers, I lied. Or more accurately, I unintentionally misrepresented myself. There are books out there with the title Et Cetera, but not etc.

I sincerely apologize to all the other books entitled with Latin abbreviations and phrases that in the future I may overlook or claim do not exist.

No comments: