Monday, November 12, 2007

Introduction to "Lipstick"

Lipstick is a piece of micro-fiction. Micro-fiction is a sub-genre of flash fiction, where as flash fiction stories are generally 1000 words or shorter, micro-fiction stories are generally 250 words or shorter.
This piece in particular is 7 words long.
I wrote this piece when I was 19 or 20, I can't remember now. At the time I was writing in a journal: a lot of bad poetry, sketches, and lines that happened to float into my head. This story comes from one of those college journals. Originally I thought it could be a poem, but as a poem, I believed it seemed too deliberate, too direct, too "look at me I'm a poem with deep meaning". I decided recently that it could stand alone however as a piece of micro-fiction.

The title of the piece stems from a need to not want to be too deliberate, too heavy-handed. I have an idea of what I believe is being discussed, or perceived, but I don't want my interpretation to interfere with anything else, especially when the words used are so open to suggestion. I toyed with the idea of calling the piece Trust but that eliminates a lot of non-fidelity issues, and infers what it could be about. I wanted the title of the piece to be as abstract as the piece itself. I didn't want the title to portend that it could be a heavy piece: it is only seven words after all. I like the idea that the characters are not defined by age, by culture, by class, by race, by relationship. by anything other than one is male, the other is female. It doesn't take sides either, at least not explicity, although it is definietely from one person's point of view.
THe title Lipstick comes from my own idea of what the story is about, the issue at hand, but I don't want to get into why I decided to call it that. I don't want my own perception of the story to interfere with the reader's interpretation of it.

So, now that I have written a piece infinitely longer than the story itself, I hope all you hypothetical readers out there enjoy this story.

Thanks

No comments: